Polyglycerol Esters of Edible Fatty Acids (PGE)- E475
|Oily to hard waxy
|Max 6 mgKOH/gm
|Total Fatty Acid Ester content
|Total Glycerol and Polyglycerol
|Heavy Metals (as Pb)
|Less than 10mg/kg
|Less than 3 mg/kg
|Less than 1mg/kg
|Less than 1 mg/kg
Polyglycerol Esters of Edible Fatty Acids (PGE) is manufactured using polymerized Glycerol and Edible Fatty Acids. It exists as a white to off-white coloured, oily to hard waxy material. It is dispersible in water and soluble in oils.
PGE is a Palm-oil free essential emulsifier used in cakes batters, cake gels and non-dairy whipped topping. It also plays a key role in the production of margarine and low-fat spreads. Additionally, it qualifies as a good food additive for Kosher as well as Halal food preparations.
PGE is used mostly for its aeration and softening ability in cake- based products.
Benefits in Cake Gels
* In cake gels it works synergistically with distilled monoglycerides. * As it is an alpha-tending emulsifier it retards the gel from turning white.
* Once used in cake batter the PGE provides extra aeration and volume to the batter.
* It provides a smooth texture and crumb structure to the cake and additional softness.
Benefits in Non-Dairy/Whipped Topping
* Provides aeration and increases over-run
* It helps to disperse the fat every throughout the mix and provides better whiteness and more uniform creamy texture.
* Provides stiffness to the topping once it is whipped.
Benefits in Margarine
* Improves functional properties in the form of better organoleptic properties, stabilisation of emulsions, improved aeration.
* Reduces sandiness in the lipid phase and provides plasticity and elasticity that mimics the nature of butter.
* In puff pastry margarine PGE improves the spread of fats in lamination culminating in better flakiness and lift of the baked product.
* In cake margarine, which is used extensively by the cake making industry, the fat plays an important part in the aeration of batter. Fat with PGE performs better in reducing batter density and thereby increases volume. It also stabilises the batter and improves batch to batch uniformity.